Dhan Sikhi

Everything about sikhism

Forums

Forum Home > Guru Gobind Singh Ji > Sayyid Budhu Shah

dhansikhi
Site Owner

Raja Medni Parkash, chief of the Himalayan hill-state of Nahan, invited Guru Gobind Singh to his state. The Guru accepted the invitation. He reached Nahan on April 14, 1685 and founded there a fort which he named Paonta. There, sitting on the beautiful banks of the Jamuna, he thought of what should be done to free his countrymen from the bonds of sin, suffering, and slavery. He applied himself closely to self-education. As a child he had, during his stay at Patna, learnt to speak Bihari. He had learnt Gurmukhi from his mother and maternal uncle. As he tells us in his autobiography called Bichitra Natak, 'his father had given him instruction of various kinds’. He had learnt Persian from a Muslim teacher. Now at Patna he went through the whole range of epic literature in Sanskrit. At the same time, he mastered the art of composing poetry in Hindi and Punjabi. In Hindi he developed a style which has remained unsurpassed. He translated the old stories of Indian heroes, as found in the Purans, the Ramayan, and the Mahabharat. He engaged fifty two poets to help him in this heavy task. The keynote of this vast literature is optimism, freedom from superstition and strong faith in the oneness of God and of all humanity- the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man.

His purpose in creating this literature was to infuse a new spirit among. his followers, and steel their hearts against all injustice and tyranny. The tyranny that then prevailed was not only political but also religious and social. It was being practised everyday in kitchens, at village wells, in temples and hundreds of other places visited by the people. It was far worse than any other sin or crime. Guru Gobind Singh says: 'The sins committed in the name of religion are such as put even greatest sins to blush.”

In order to fit himself for the struggle, he practised every form of manly exercise, such as riding, hunting, archery, and sword-play. At Sadhaura, about twenty five kilometers from Paonta, there lived a Sayyid Faqir named Pir Budhu Shah. He learnt-that Guru Gobind Singh was staying so near him. He went to see him. The Guru received him warmly. The Sayyid said, 'People think of me to be a pious man of religion. But I know that I am a sinner. I am terribly afraid of what may happen to me after death. Get me pardoned for my sins. Save me from God's wrath. Tell me how to win his praise and become acceptable to him’. The Guru replied, “God is all mercy and forgiveness. He loves us all as a good father loves his children. Repent your mistakes and sins from the bottom of your heart. Resolve never to do wrong again. Keep busy in doing good deeds. Help all that need your help. All the time be humble and truthful. Avoid pride and vanity. Always feel God to be watching all your actions. Feel him to be knowing all your feelings, desires and thoughts. Think, feel, or desire nothing that may displease him. Ever remember him, and pray to him for light, grace and mercy. If you live such a life, you need have no fears about your life after death.

Sayyid Budhu Shah was delighted to hear these words. He bowed and promised to live and act as advised by the Guru. After some time he returned to his home in Sadhaura.

--

May 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Subscribe To Our Site

Recent Photos